Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Food

So far, so disappointing...

Here's where I've eaten:

By SUTD:
Block 34 Coffee Shop
Chinese Veggie and Meat and Rice Combo place has pretty bad food. I couldn't finish the tofu, mushrooms and rice I was given. The tofu was dry-ish, and the sauces were just soy sauce, I think. Avg cost is about $4 SGD or $3 USD
The BBQ Food is OK. It's like your average American Chinese take out. I had the sweet and sour chicken, but the sweet and sour sauce was a tomatoey BBQ sauce. It had good pieces of veggies and some pieces of the center region of a pineapple. You know, the harder pieces. 
Avg cost is about $5 SGD or $4 USD
One-North/Fusionopolis
I ordered the Beef Mian noodles and broth at the Noodles vendor in the cafeteria. The beef was good, maybe a little overcooked. The broth seemed homemade beef broth, which is good. I guess they cook the beef in the broth. The noodles were just like wonton noodles in wonton soup. So they were soggy-ish and had a strange wonton flavor that I hadn't expected. The veggies were good. Probably a top meal. Avg cost is about $6 SGD or $5 USD
On Campus
Breadyard is the most common eatery for the visiting fellows, I would estimate. They sell sandwiches, beef, chicken, tuna, etc. Very American diet friendly. They also have breakfast all day. Breakfast consists of combinations of eggs, toast and kaya butter. I've had the scrambled eggs on toast, the tuna and egg sandwich and the roast beef sandwich. The olive bread is delicious, the sandwiches are delicious; the roast beef had some local flavor to it. There is also soup (mushroom soup was good) and potatos for the sides. The iced tea is sweet, but better than US sweetened tea. 
Avg cost is about $7 SGD or $5.50 USD
The Cafeteria also has good food, a selection of red bean, chicken, pork, veggie and other bau is available. I've only had the Asian Delights option of pad thai. It tasted no different than American pad thai. It had a variety of fish in it and some tofu.
Avg cost is about $4 SGD or $3 USD

Downtown area:
Orchard Rd
My roommate and I ended up at JiBiru Craft Beer and Yakitori Bar after exploring the mall. We were starving, and disappointed to find that the kebabs of food were TINY. I paid $9 SGD for 8 bites of steak ($7 USD). The vegetable tempura was $11 SGD ($8.61 USD), and the grape tomatoes wrapped in bacon were around $5 SGD. Beer was expensive, but they had a good selection. It is mostly a beer and appetizers place.
Marina Bay
Marina Bay has a cafeteria area. I went to the Chicken Rice stand and got some tasty roasted chicken on chicken rice. I want to say it was $5 SGD. We also got banana tempura for $4 SGD at the Glutton stand. The banana tempura was in kaya butter, and delicious.

http://www.thekitchn.com/august-6-roundup-from-nationwi-92211
Some definitions:
Kaya - a coconut jam of coconut milk, eggs, sugar and pandan leaf. It's like a caramelized reduction. 
Kaya Toast - toast with Kaya and butter that people eat for breakfast.

4 comments:

  1. so i finally had a chance to read all your blog entries. Sounds like I need to get my sister to round up her food adventures while she was in Singapore-- she said the food was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally made it out to Little India and had delicious Dosai. Then, I tried the Thai Delicious at the food court in One North, and the Tom Yam soup was delicious. So, mission accomplished. Not ALL the food can be great. :)

      Delete
  2. Kaya sounds interesting. Want to mail us a jar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Smeagol. I don't think I can put jars of food in the mail, but I'll consider it. A package to the US starts around $35 SGD.

      Delete