Sunday, January 5, 2014

Preparing for Medical Services

I am feeling unwell, today, and decided to schedule an appointment at a hospital for a bloodtest. I contacted International SOS at +65.6338.7800 for assistance. The operator collected my information and disconnected for 20 minutes to get ahold of a doctor. I believe the doctor was in France, but I'm unsure. We talked briefly, the doctor seemed mildly unconcerned as if it were a late hour for him (I think it was 11pm in France.) I made sure to ask him what tests I should expect. He suggested that I get a physical examination and blood test. Then he disconnected, and I worked with the Singapore operator to locate a nearby hospital. International SOS does not recommend going to a public hospital, because they are more crowded and take more time. We decided upon Gleneagles hospital. She suggested that I contact Blue Cross Blue Shield once I knew the appt information. Because the hospital appt services are closed (it's Sunday at 6pm), she said they would schedule the appt when the hospital opened and shoot for a 12-2pm slot. She promised to call with the details at 10:30am on Monday.

I then called BCBS right away to make sure the hospital and plan were acceptable and check my coverage. I called the international assistance at 001-804-673-1177 because the online worldwide doctor search was not recognizing the first three letters (XXP) of my ID #. (see possible explanation http://medweb.mit.edu/about/news/article/bcbs-card-091027.html ) I was informed that all hospital visits less than 24 hours in duration are paid up-front by myself and then I need to e-mail copies of the following to BCBS:

  • claim form
  • copy of medical record
  • detailed itemized invoice
  • receipt of payment
For stays longer than 24 hours, I can call BCBS and set up a case for BCBS to help negotiate fees. The operator told me that there were no restrictions on hospitals for international services.


1 comment: