Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Humidity System

Hopefully the sunsack can keep this white dress dry.
As I write, my hands are damp. Not from sweat, but from the air. In my last post, I shared pictures of moldy belongings. In this post, I present a solution that I am now testing. It involves air-tight and semi-air-tight containers to hold my at-risk belongings along with a dedicated dehumidifier. Having two or three dehumidifiers in my wardrobe was not cutting it. I needed to reduce the volume of air containing each dehumidifier.

I purchased vacuum bags and an underbed storage bag to store my scuba gear suits, sweatshirt, and purses. I also got a new system of dehumifiers (plastic containers with calcium chloride as a dessicant.)

The dehumidifiers I got:
DampRid sells refillable pots and loose calcium chloride for refilling the pot. I was starting to feel bad about the First Choice plastic containers that I was throwing out before. The DampRid containers don't have lids to prevent spills, though!

Instead of the smaller thirsty hippo packets, I found some "Sunsacks" and a charcoal bamboo product. These packets are meant to be dryed in the sun (or a microwave) and reused. These are useful to store in my underwear shelf, backpack, and other smaller spaces.
Here are the containers I bought. These should be useful to see how air-tight a container needs to be.



Then I filled these with my belongings, including my precious SCUBA gear that initiated the venture:
Suits and jackets
Purses

If my regulator gets moldy, I will get sick breathing through it.

Gotta keep the SCUBA gear dry and mold free!


Everything fits nicely under my bed.

My socks and bathing suit with my last Thirsty Hippo packet.

Even this backpack is getting moldy. And I use the darn thing!

These items were in danger!!

Now my closet has precious room to aerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment